This year I wanted to make a Halloween banner. I think it turned out pretty good. I know I am jumping the gun hanging it up so early, but it is very long and would be hard to store.
I love Halloween. It is so interesting and creative. I love the little oddishnesses about it and the macabre--nothing too far fetched or gory, of course--just slanted and of kilter. (like the children's story of the crooked man who had a crooked house ... ). One of my all time favorite movies is "The Nightmare Before Christmas" --the music is so catchy and jazzy and hilarious and the artwork is so colorful and unique--and then of course the Mel Brooks version of "Frankenstein." I love how the story and the music don't quite match up with the picture--you know, Frankenstein tap dancing in tails and a top hat--just the best.
I also love Halloween traditions. For the past four or five years my mother has had a Halloween Party at her house with homemade donuts and root beer and all the little cousins in their costumes. She decorates her front yard with pumpkin art of the most creative variety--she usually makes a pumpkin totem pole or some other type of strange pumpkin fellows. Traditionally I always forget to bring Andrew's costume so we spend the evening frantically raiding and rampaging through drawers of Grandpa Grumpy's clothes and socks and hats or painting on paper bags. (in the past Andrew has been a half naked beggar child with a beard--they do grow heavy beards on that side of the family--and he has been a yellow sack Pokemon.
Traditional forgetfulness.


As a side note, I just wanted to thank everyone for all their thoughtfulness and prayers. This is going to be one of those years I guess, but with all the scariness and the uncomfortableness that comes with having cancer, I have to acknowledge that there is a purpose to it all, that there will be amazing blessings and my family will mature spiritually in ways that they would not otherwise have a chance of doing. I guess this gives me a chance to look beyond earthly treasures and work toward more eternal ones. (I mean I can't really worry about having a bad hair day with a top of the line, pre-styled, perfectly colored mop on my head--can I?) I love you all. I love the blogs and actually feeling like I am involved in your little worlds. I miss all my nieces and nephews and seeing them change and get big every day--so keep those glorious pictures coming!!! ;)








5 comments:
Awesome post, Maria! I am looking forward to seeing your new "do"!
On a side note, don't worry about having your Halloween decorations up so eary. My friend broke hers out two days ago!
Your Halloween banner is Awesome! You are very talented when it comes to that sort of stuff. I definately need to add to my Halloween decoration collection. Your an inspiration to all of us. I meant what I said, if you need anything, we would love to help. I'll be bugging you about bringing you dinner soon. :)
We love Halloween also. I was just thinking yesterday we needed to get the decor out. Our kids love, love, love The Nightmare Before Christmas!!! I'm tempted to buy the remastered version, even though we have it already.
I can't wait to see your new do too, so post a pic when you can!! And if I lived close buy, I'd be like Aunt Janet, and bug you about bringing dinner. I know we're far away, but if you need anything let me know, even if it's just someone to talk to. We love you!!!
Isn't it funny how much in the last picture they have grown. I remember you bringing Andrew home and Sarah and I visiting when she was only two, so interested in that little baby. We don't remember the paths we've choosen long ago, nor do we really want to go thru with some...but we are promised the reward will be great if we continue...I get the biggest goldest plant of all!! JK My love is all pointed in your direction, even the little shadows here are doing the same!! Nice banner!! Talk to you soon..love!!!
I put some of our Halloween stuff out the Monday after Labor Day... with Sydnie's birthday on Oct. 31st. she thinks everyone is decorating for her birthday! I love the banner, this year we are going to have a big Halloween/Birthday party for Sydnie. After night time prayers, Sydnie and I have to talk about what games and prizes we are going to do... I am not sure, but I think by the time Halloween comes around, I am going to be so glad it is over!
Thank you for your post, it is good to be able to know what is going on in your lives, it is hard with the distance, but we love you and if you need anything please call us!
Post a Comment