Friday, August 8, 2008

Steven's Surgery


This week instead of going to Lake Powell, Steven had surgery on his foot. For years and years he has had foot pain and at times it has been so bad that he could hardly walk. Last year he had surgery to fix the problem in which the doctors cut part way through a ligament--only it grew back together and so "problem not solved."

So, this week they hooked him up to a machine and tested the nerves in his foot and it turned out that his nerves were way beyond abnormal--they were retarded!! He has what is comparable to carpal tunnel of the feet. So Thursday he went in to have another plantar facial surgery done and a type of carpal tunnel surgery performed. It turns out however that the doctor only did the carpal tunnel procedure. He said as soon as he got in there he decided that it had to be the nerve. This nerve was only supposed to be as thick as the wire in a paperclip but it was as big as a straw or a pencil. So, we hope, hope, hope that this will fix the problem and my dear husband will be able to walk like a young man again instead of an old man.

These pictures show his amazing bandage. It is HUGE!! They wrapped a cotton batting around his leg and foot like you would use for quilting. With all that padding you wouldn't think he could feel a thing--but it is still pretty sensitive--especially the big toe..........don't touch it!!! Also, here is a funny picture of Andrew and his new hat. I swear this kid should model. He always is so concerned about the clothes he wears--and told me he had to wear this hat in this specific way. If I take a picture--man--you should see some of the poses I get. What a child!!!

5 comments:

K Lind said...

Poor Steven. I hope this surgery works! We'll keep you in our prayers.
As for Andrew, what a gangsta!

The Moss Family said...

Love the hat Andrew!! As for Steven's foot, ouch! Hope it heals up quick. Tell him if I was there I would touch his big toe, just to get back at him for everything he did to me when we were younger. He souldn't be able to chase me and tackle me down. :) ohhhaaaa!

K Lind said...

Wow Steve! You look like Elephant Man ... Foot! ;o) Just kidding. Hope you get feeling better. - Josh

Janet said...

Tell Steven that we hope he gets better soon. And Andrew, WoW! You're going to have to keep an eye on him when he gets older. By the way, I read your comment on LeAnns' Breaking Dawn comments. You are amazing. I guess that's why you have a literature degree. Cool thoughts about the book.

Cziep Family said...

Andrew is just too cute, you better disconnect the phone lines now, you will have girls calling him! David told me about Steven's foot, but I had no idea how much was involved with it, och! Tell him we sure hope he gets feeling better. Oh, Sydnie wanted me to asking him, "do you know what is under piggy tails?" :0