Thursday, July 31, 2008

Fantastic Forgein Film

I just finished watching this fantastic forgein film from India called "Water." It is about a little girl who is married and widowed at the age of seven. Widows in that country are outcasts thereafter and are forced to live in near seclusion. Their families don't have anything to do with them as they are considered bad luck and marrying again is unheard of. This little girl is taken to a widow's home by her father whom she never sees again. She doesn't understand what is happening to her and can hardly remember her wedding in the first place. While in the home she meets many other widows with stories similar to hers. One young woman in particular was brought to the home when she was nine and can not remember ever being anything but a widow. There is a beautiful love story and wonderful cinematography. The film is beautiful and as usual for Asian film tragic and agonising to watch. I highly recommend it. It was a tear jerker I admit but an eye opener and really absolutely beautiful and cathartic. If you have Netflix, you can watch it over the Internet.

1 comment:

Janet said...

Sounds like a wonderful film. OK, I am a little stupid but because it is a foreign film, does it have subtitles or do they speak English? I would like to see it. And yes, sort of, about the midnight party. I went to Deseret Book and they are staying open until midnight to sell the book. They will match any price and as of now will sell it at Barnes and Noble price of I believe $14.97 or $14 something. Anyway I decided to sign up for it. So I will go along with probably Ciarra and so if you have no plans and want to do the Deseret Book thing then I would love to pick you up and take you with us. Call me and let me know. The things we do!!!! :)